Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Clear Well Lighted Barnes & Noble

As we walk in to this place of books and media we seem to forget that there were two floors. We walk to the woman trying to not hate her job selling Nooks and we ask her, “¿Dónde podemos encontrar de 2001: Una odisea del espacio?”
“Su piso de arriba.”
“Gracias”
And so we head to the escalator and for me it was difficult since I am crippled at that moment. The shear thought of my head slamming into the spiked escalator stair made me cringe. Petrified I asked my father if we could take the elevator, and so we did.
As the elevator bell rung I knew we were on the seconds floor. We step off ready to find that book. As the literature safari starts we find it almost instantly. We then proceed to find some chairs. Looking for actual chairs in this store is like finding a strand of hay in an incinerator. Fortunately, lady luck gave us two chairs. Sitting down was a relief, taking some gloominess out of my day. We stay at are chairs not only because of the furniture vultures that swoop at any and all open chairs, but we were both fascinated with our book choices. Hours pass and were ready to head home, but there was one thing keeping us upstairs, the elevator battery was dead so we had to take the dreaded escalators. The steps were taunting me, always moving just before I was going on it. Finally I decided to go for it, but failed. The crutches fell and I was struggling not to fall into eternal falling. With an ape-like grip, my father grabbed my shirt collar and placed me fully on step and chased the lost crutches down the escalator.
After the near-death experiment I thank my father.
“Gracias”
“De nada”        

1 comment:

  1. Great play on "nada" at the end -- very witty! You are far more Fitzgerald than Hemingway, I must say, and that can be a good thing. Hemingway would have left out all the lovely descriptions you've written and also written more dialogue.

    ReplyDelete